This is not the most recent version of this page.
Please click here to view the current version.
Helping you make your script submission FAQ
FAQ: submitting an ad for clearance
Answers to questions about submitting scripts for clearance
Ad clearance basics
- What is CopyCentral?
- CopyCentral is our online system that allows you to submit scripts for clearance. It’s the fastest way to get your scripts cleared, because it consolidates all materials and communications in one place.
- How do I sign up for CopyCentral?
- If your company hasn't used Clearcast before just download and return our registration form. If your company has already signed up to CopyCentral then they will have a super-user who is responsible for setting up new users.
Getting in touch with us
- How do we find out who our contact is at Clearcast?
- Head on over to our contact us page and enter your agency or company name into the Find your copy clearance executive box. Alternatively, just call us on 020 7339 4700 and we’ll connect you to the right person.
- Who should we contact if we have a script query?
- You’ll have been allocated a copy group executive who can help. To find out who they are, enter your agency or company name into the Find your copy clearance executive box on our contact us page. Alternatively, call us on 020 7339 4700 and we’ll connect you.
Getting a script cleared
- How much does it cost to clear a script?
- Clearances are free, as long as:
The ad will be aired on one of the channels for which we clear. They are for ads no longer than five minutes long.
Teleshopping scripts that will be for ads longer than five minutes are charged at standard rates. We charge for other scripts on a case-by-case basis.
- How long does it take to clear a script?
- It depends on how complex the script is, but we always aim to meet our service levels.
- Which broadcasters does Clearcast clear scripts for?
- Clearcast is owned and funded by the major UK broadcasters, which means we only clear scripts for ads to be aired by those broadcasters. See the channels for which we clear scripts.
- Does Clearcast clear scripts for other broadcasters?
- We are happy to offer our services to broadcasters wishing to use them. Please contact us to discuss.
- How do we upload our script?
- Scripts being submitted for clearance must be uploaded into CopyCentral, our ad clearance system.
- How do we check the progress of our ad or script in clearance?
- Our online submission portal CopyCentral is the best place to start. The script submission will show a status:
- With Clearcast means the submission is currently in your contact's inbox, awaiting their attention.
- Pending means your contact has considered the script and has placed comments on CopyCentral that require your attention.
- Our script has changed. Can we update it in CopyCentral?
- Yes — but if your script is showing as 'With Clearcast' please speak to your Clearcast contact first.
To update a script:
- Sign in to CopyCentral
- Open the submission
- Select the Feedback section (on the left hand side)
- Select Upload File (at the bottom, right hand corner)
- Select Script
- Choose and upload your script
- Our clearance request requires a consultant’s input. How long will it take?
- When input from a specialist consultant is required, we do our best to work with them as quickly as possible. Typically, it takes a week or so. However, this does depend on the how complex the issue is and how complete your supporting evidence is.
Key advertising rules
- Can our scripts use swearing or expletives?
- Probably not. Bad language can offend large numbers of people, particularly where it is unexpected. It is unlikely to be acceptable in advertising.